Getting Started with Empower
Welcome to Garden to Table’s Empower resources. These activity sheets will get your class growing, harvesting, preparing and sharing fresh vegetables easily in the classroom, reinforcing learning from the Life Education mobile classroom and providing opportunities to link back to key learning areas.
Garden to Table's Empower resources are divided into 5 sections:
- Getting Started: Here you will find fact sheets that outline:
- The philosophy of Garden to Table and our 'grow, harvest, prepare and share' objectives
- How you can set up a small garden in the school grounds, start with raised garden beds, or even create small, individual container pots for each child within the classroom.
- How to begin cooking in the classroom
- Sitting down and sharing the meal in the classroom
- Evaluation worksheets for pre- and post- testing with your class
Each season focuses on a single, seasonal vegetable and provides growing and cooking guides, together with sample recipes. Each season can be matched with a term, so you can begin your Garden to Table Empower programme at any stage of the year.
- Summer / Term 1: Lettuce and herbs
- Autumn / Term 2: Carrots
- Winter / Term 3: Silverbeet
- Spring / Term 4: Peas
There are also links to Life Education's nutrition information and links to helpful curriculum resources.
We encourage you to review Garden to Table's broader resources and to consider extending your Garden to Table programme if possible. If you would like more information about how you can develop Garden to Table in your school, we’re always happy to help – you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org