Root to Tip back in 2019:
After a fantastic first year Root to Tip is back in 2019. Root to Tip is a fun and creative cooking competition that encourages kids to create menus and recipes that incorporate resourceful use of vegetables and fruits that are seasonal and produce minimal waste. The competition is open to all New Zealand schools and all children in years 5 and 6. Encourage your kids to grab a partner and invent a two-course vegetable based menu. We will send out entry details at the beginning of next term.
- Incorporate the Root to Tip theme – use as much of the fruit and vegetable as possible e.g. pumpkin soup served in a pumpkin bowl, roast beetroot salad featuring roasted beetroot and leaves
- Use seasonal fruit and vegetables, ideally sourced from school, community and home gardens
- Creative use of ingredients to create delicious dishes
- Can be prepared in two hours max (both dishes)
- Produces minimum wastage (waste will be weighed)
- Kids can choose to design an entrée and main or a main and dessert.
and creative cooking competition that encourages kids to create menus and recipes that incorporate resourceful use of vegetables and fruits that are
Monday 17th June – competition entries open
Monday 1st July – entries close
Friday 5th July – regional finalists advised
Friday 2nd August and Saturday 3rd August – Regional heats held across NZ
Friday 23rd August – Root to Tip final held in at Weltec Wellington
For more details, and to learn about the winners from 2018, please visit the dedicated microsite at www.roottotip.org.nz